Fiancé Visas 101

Not everyone can be in a long-distance relationship. But for many people, long-distance relationships end in marriage. But what if your bride- or husband-to-be lives in another country? USA immigration law states that you can apply for a fiancé visa if you meet a list of requirements. Here is a brief look at the application process and the eligibility requirements, according to the US Department of Homeland Security.

If you’re already a US citizen but would like to bring a foreign fiancé into the United States to marry, you will need to file the form 1-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé. However, in order to petition for the fiancé US visas, you can’t have cold feet. In fact, you must be ready to marry him or her within 90 days of your fiancé entering the US. What happens if you don’t? Unfortunately, your fiancé must go back to the country they came from.

Another requirement is that you must have met each other in person at least once within two years of filing the petition. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. In this case, there are two: the first exception is if meeting in person would violate your customs. The second is if you prove that meeting in person would be very difficult to do. Finally, if either you or fiancé have been married before, you must have proof of a legally terminated divorce, death or annulment before you can apply for fiancé USA visas.